Wednesday, September 26, 2018




Three views of a Green Heron
(Butorides virescens)


This is a real photo. I took it at my favorite pond. I was standing on a paved path when this green heron flew in my direction while having his eyes on me. What an experience! One I haven't experienced again. It's one of those special moments you smile about just thinking back. 

Green herons are fascinating birds. I was standing at the same spot another time when this green heron took off from the water lilies. Catching him mid-flight was fun. It was special.



Herons love ponds, marshes, and streams. They are the only bird that actually makes tools to catch its prey. They use twigs, bugs, feathers and other things nearby. Fish are fascinated by these things. Thus, the heron can stretch its neck down and grab the fish.

There was a young green heron at the pond one time. What a beauty! I had never seen such details in the feathers. As you can see in the photo, it's very elaborate. I watched in wonder as it hopped from one rock to another.




One thing I noticed in all the times I have seen a green heron, it is alone. There isn't another green heron to be seen. If there is a mate on the pond, the mate is usually at the other side of the pond.

Herons walk through water to searching for their next meal. It's fun to watch it search for food. It sticks its neck out in a variety of ways.

The colors on the heron are beautiful and, when his/her neck is extended, you will see even more color and patterns.

When you visit a pond or marsh, keep your eyes open. Maybe you'll see a green heron.

Each of the above prints are available for purchase.


Thanks for visiting my blog!

Judy


References:

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/birds/green_heron_intro.html

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/identification/wading-birds/green-heron.php


https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/grnher/introduction

http://naturemappingfoundation.org/natmap/facts/green_heron_712.html



No comments:

Post a Comment